Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Mid-Century Kitchen with Molly Starlite - Episode 4: Empty Bowl Potato Salad!

I, probably like a lot of people, didn't like potato salad when I was a kid. In fact, I don't think I willingly ate any potato salad even through most of my young adulthood. And then one day, I was a potential drummer's house for him to try out for my band and his wife served us all bowls of potato salad. Not wanting to be rude, I ate some. And I was shocked that I actually liked it. It wasn't weird in any way. It tasted like potatoes and bacon and there wasn't any weird crunchy things in it, but it had the taste of onions and pickles without the crunch of it.

But the audition didn't go well and I lost contact with that drummer and his wife and never got the recipe. So, I set out to make my own version, and this is the result! This potato salad is a crowd favorite to every place I have ever taken it to; I have never had to bring leftovers home when I bring this dish to picnics, potlucks, BBQs, etc. The secret is the inclusion of pickle juice and lemon zest and juice, which adds the traditional pickle flavor but kicks it up a freshness notch or two with the acidity of the lemon.

Alternate versions of this that I have made before when I have it on hand include adding bacon, but it really is delicious exactly like this. Watch me make it here:


Here's a printable recipe card. (Download & print PDF file HERE)


Empty Bowl Potato Salad
6 eggs (hard boiled)
5 medium potatoes (boiled)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
Zest & juice of one lemon
2 tbs pickle juice
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbs chicken bouillon
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp black pepper

In a large pot, cover potatoes and eggs with water and bring to boil. After 7 minutes of boiling, remove eggs from water and set aside to cool. Continue boiling potatoes for another 10 minutes or until fork tender in the middles. Remove potatoes from hot water and allow to cool.

In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon zest & juice, and pickle juice and whisk until combined. Add in spices and seasonings and whisk until incorporated.

Peel and dice potatoes and put in large mixing bowl. Peel & rinse eggs and set aside.

Add dressing to bowl of potatoes, gently folding to combine until all potato pieces are coated.

Slice eggs on egg slicer and add 4 of the eggs to the bowl of potatoes. Gently fold to incorporate.

Transfer potato salad to serving bowl. Top with remaining two eggs, arranged in a pretty pattern for serving.

Serves 6 to 10.

Like what you see here? Want to help me make more awesome stuff? Support me on Patreon.com and get instant rewards! You could get a custom song, free copies of my books, free jewelry, a say in my projects, and so much more! Thank you for your patronage!

No comments:

Post a Comment