Friday, December 11, 2015

What Is "Pinup Everyday?"

Ever since I started following the pinup culture about 18 months ago, I've been incorporating it into my life. Of course, I've always been interested in all things retro: cars, decorating, fashion, makeup... but it took me a while to start really living that lifestyle. I think being a pinup is about more than just looking like a pinup; it really is a lifestyle, an attitude. It's being you, your way. It's the personification of class, style, and dedication to things you love. You can be a pinup in your jeans or yoga pants with your hair just brushed. It's an attitude.

For me, it's a measure of control over my life. My world was very messy for a very long time, and the world of retro living brought a structure to my life that not only helped me control myself and my emotions, but literally makes me happy.

For instance, my house. About the same time that I became interested in pinup culture, my new husband and I bought a house. Nothing fancy: just a 800-ish-or-so square-foot house in the boonies of north Idaho. Owning something like this meant I could decorate it however I wanted. And we went retro! Here's a few photos of different areas of the house; I'll post in more detail about each in posts later:

 The living room had hideous paneling, old carpet, and dusty vertical blinds... so I changed everything. Laminate flooring, pinstriped the walls, added colorful curtains, glittery shades, and bright orange and lush silver furniture. Voila! An MCM living area!

















 The kitchen was typical 1970s decor, with flower-patterned, orange-and-yellow-and-avacado color scheme; paneling everywhere, and more vertical blinds. So, we installed counter-to-ceiling glass tile in white and silver, painted the paneling white and accented with chili pepper red, installed stainless appliances (which I got for a steal from a friend of mine who was moving), and added chrome Sputnik stars to the cabinetry.  We've since changed the light fixtures and carried the Spunik star theme down the hallway toward the bedroom. I'll post those photos later. :)










I have a "before" shot somewhere, but this is an "after" shot of the bedroom, my most recent project. This was mostly just painting paneling. (I hate paneling.) I also added colorful harlequin diamonds, bright curtains and sheers, and decorated with the mid-century lamps I collect.




So, as you can see, I have full embraced the retro life. I don't think you have to go as a far as I have to be a pinup or part of the retro lifestyle, but it sure has made me happy. Getting out of the dark place I was in and physically brightening my surroundings made a huge difference to my healing process. Plus, it looks awesome, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment