Monday, December 28, 2015

Molly Starlite's Hair Flowers

I've been making pinup style hair flowers for almost a year now, and while I haven't been able to make a career of it, it's a fun hobby. I make hair flowers while waiting for videos to convert from DVD format to MP4; I make them while waiting for videos to export out of my film-making software; I make them while waiting for videos to upload to a web site or video streaming channel (there's a *lot* of waiting and babysitting while making videos, which is why they're so expensive).

Anyway, it's a fun, relaxing hobby that lets me be creative and make something beautiful. I list them on my Etsy store, give them as gifts, and sell them to people I run into. I take commissions and make custom flowers. It's a lot of fun, making something one-of-a-kind and unique to a person's tastes.

I used to make them by winding metal wire around the hair combs and flower stems, but I have started making them using a new thread wrapping technique that makes them lighter, safer, sturdier, and waaaaay prettier than most other methods I have found. There's no glue to get brittle and break, no wires to poke you, and nothing unsightly or bulky to interfere with wearing the flower. The flowers are light, can be inserted into any hairstyle, and this method allows the wearer to "pose" the flower just a little bit (not a lot, but some... so you could move a flower a little to cover a bobby pin, for instance).

Soon, I may start adding new features, like glitter and ornaments. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment