Saturday, December 26, 2015

Merry Christmas, Pinup Peoples!

Hope all of your holidays were merry and bright and you got everything you wanted!

This Christmas, I got to go to a Christmas party (I rarely get invited to any, being as I am a contractor), so I got to wear my Monica dress, finally. I bought this one from the final sale rack at the Pinup Girl Clothing web site; it was my very first (and still only) Monica. :) I had pincurled my hair, but I had also watched a tutorial online on how to do a 1950s sculpted hair style, and so I was following along, brushing and back-combing... and the curls started to come out. Like I said in another post, my hair is straight and it doesn't want to do anything other than be straight. The only way I can keep a curl is to just gently lift from the roots for volume, finger separate the curls, and then leave it alone. So, I wasn't happy with my hair, but I think it looked okay. Here's a pic:

The roads were awful from our house to outside Coeur d'Alene where the restaurant was, but the steak there made it almost worth it. Seriously, it was cut-it-with-a-fork tender, perfectly cooked, flavorful... If you're in the Coeur d'Alene area, stop in to the Wolf Lodge Inn just off I-90. You won't be disappointed if you like steak.

But the drive home was hairier than the drive in, and my Tommy Lee and I were very happy to get home. I spent the evening with the kids, and I re-rolled my hair and put my little girl's hair in pin curls for the first time, too! She was so happy to match me:


The next day was Christmas Eve, and it had been snowing for the previous 5 days. It was supposed to have stopped snowing by Thursday morning (the 24th), but it continued to put down the white stuff pretty much all day Thursday. I decided to wear my white Niagara dress (also bought during a final sale or online yard sale - I forget which - from Pinup Girl Clothing) with red accessories to look Christmas-sy. I made a fabulous poinsettia and holly hair accessory that was glittery and big... it almost looked like a fascinator. I got a faux fur red shawl from Amazon for $10, and wore my red suede heels to finish off the look. And then I got the bright idea to add the perfect pinup shrug (also from PUG, another final sale item) and I was amazed by how the addition of that little jacket switched up the look of the Niagara dress from a 1950s bombshell dress to almost a 1940s, sophisticated ensemble. Here's a pic:

Like I mentioned earlier, it had been snowing for days and days, and it finally all caught up to us Christmas Eve, as we were plunged into darkness shortly after nightfall. We went and grabbed our camping lanterns and candles and set those up in my Mom's living room, and I played guitar while people sang and snacked on summer sausage and cheese and crackers and beef stew Mom moved from her cooking stove to the fireplace to finish cooking. The lights came back on after about an hour and half, and we got to sing Christmas carols and unwrap gifts from each other. It was a good time.

Santa brought my little girl a pink lurex sweater that just matched my Jeanie sweater (also from PUG, but I got it on a swap & sell page on Facebook for $40), so I wore the sweater with the black Jenny skirt so we would match; she loves that.

So, that was my Christmas, pinup style! I am looking forward to New Year's Eve, when I get to wear one of my Black Friday purchases: the Voodoo Vixen dress in pink lamè! My Tommy Lee is going to take me (weather permitting) to a 1950s dance in Coeur d'Alene, and I am so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment