Friday, December 11, 2015

Welcome to Molly Starlite's!


Me and my Tommy Lee at the Spokane County Raceway
Welcome to Molly Starlite's... where it's retro every day!!

It wasn't so long ago that I wasn't sure of who I was. I'd just gotten out of a disastrous relationship that included over a decade of emotional and mental abuse and I was pretty lost. And then I found pinup culture, and it was like the sun suddenly came up for the first time in my life. I suddenly knew exactly who I was. I felt like I fit in for the first time ever. And so, I want to share my journey with you, my readers, whoever you are, so that maybe I'll inspire someone, or just entertain someone for a while. Whatever your reasons for coming here, welcome.

A little bit about me... I grew up in rural north Idaho, with only three TV channels (only one came in very well at all), a menagerie of farm animals and pets (over 100 animals lived on the place at one time), two siblings, and an overabundance of boredom to cope with. I began writing from a young age, writing short stories, newspaper articles, and other materials from the age of 9. Around the same age, I started teaching myself piano and writing songs; by age 16, I had a catalogue of (self-described) atrocious songs that I burned. I first started writing what would become Night Cry, my first novel, in 1996 on a typewriter. After many drafts, incarnations, and hundreds of rejections from agents and publishers alike, I finally realized that two books I was writing were actually the same story and the Sorrow Stones legend was born. Since then, I have written two of the three books in the Sorrow Stones Trilogy, my father's recently-published memoirs, and am currently at work on Night Fades, the third installment of the Sorrow Stones trilogy, and another, unrelated novel, Devil's Handiwork, which tells the tale of a disaffected corporate super-spy with a secret. Also in the works: a cookbook, a book of poetry, and a book of sci-fi/fantasy short stories.

Musically, I started a band in 2003 that would eventually (after 15 drummers, two bassists, and the loss of a guitarist) become Make Me Shiver, a virtually unknown band with a metric buttload of awesome songs. We released our first record, Too Much To Dream, in 2006, which is made up of 11 songs, all written by me. The band's second record, Moonshine Valentine, contains 13 songs, 12 written by me and one written by current drummer, Steven. The record was not properly promoted despite being chock-full of awesome pop-blues-folk-rock fusion music due to a surprise divorce the day the CD was released in April 2010. Make Me Shiver is currently at work on our third record, tentatively titled BitterSweet, a double album written over the course of my break-up, divorce, meeting my soul mate, marriage, and new-found happiness, and the songs follow the whole story from beginning to end. Should be something to hear, whenever it finally gets done.

Homeschooled through high school, I eventually went on to pursue higher education, getting an Associate of Arts degree in 2001, a Bachelor of Science degree from Lewis-Clark State College in Interdisciplinary Studies (Communications and English) in 2006, and a Master of Arts degree in Communication and Leadership from Gonzaga University in 2010.

I currently own and operate a web design, graphic design, and Internet and social marketing company, Crescent Moon Design Studio, a business I originally started in 2004 to supplement my income while in school. Since the economy tanked and there weren't any jobs, I have thrown myself into the business full-force, designing web sites, social media marketing campaigns, Internet marketing campaigns, short-form videos, jingles, graphics, books, and more.

In my spare time (HA!), I enjoy restoring classic cars with my husband, driving said cars, painting, playing music, cooking, playing with my four kids, watching Steelers football, and decorating my house. A vintage and retro enthusiast, you'll often find my pinning Mid Century Modern design stuff and Sputnik starbursts to my Pinterest boards or haunting Craigslist for atomic-age lamps or yardsales looking for MCM treasures. I still lives in rural north Idaho, 300 feet from the house where I grew up.

Pinup culture helped me heal from years of abuse and self hatred, and it all got started when I bought a dress from Pinup Girl Clothing. Since then, I have thrown myself into the lifestyle; I even entered the Viva Las Vegas Pinup contest for 2016... my first pinup contest ever. (Maybe I should have started smaller, eh?) So, this blog will detail that journey, as well as any clothing reviews, makeup tips and tricks, hair tips and tricks, midcentury style (clothing, decor, whatever strikes me). Won't you come along with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment