Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Supernatural-themed Ghost Protection Charms

Supernatural is one of my favorite shows. I have been watching it since the very first episode, so when the idea hit me to make ghost protection charms, I was like, "Hell, yeah, brain! You got it going on!"

There are a few people making these already, so I knew I had to go BIG... do something above and beyond. So, I got these little, hand-blown glass jars with corks, and I filled them with glittery rock salt, a waterproof match, and a small strand of vintage barbed wire.

How do I know it's vintage barbed wire? Well, my grandfather worked this property for years, and he really liked to make fences. He was so into making fences that people joked that, in 1,000 years, when archaeologists were digging up his property, they'd wonder what on earth he was protecting with his multiple fences going around his house (which was mostly to keep the neighbors' dogs from pooping in his yard, but I digress). Anyway, so, in the late 1950s and early 1960s, my grandfather built barbed wire fences around the property I am living on now. We've cut down and cleaned up most of it, saving it in balls and bales for... well, I don't know why. It's metal, and it might be good for something, I guess. Anyway, so I clipped off a length of one of these balls of barbed wire out here, so I know it's vintage, and it's iron, rusty, and looks cool in the jar.

These are available at my Etsy store for $12.50 each. Perfect for stringing on a chain for a necklace, or off a keychain, or even hanging from the rear-view mirror of your Impala! Each one is sealed and the finding is handmade.

No comments:

Post a Comment