Monday, January 4, 2016

Making It MCM: Atomic Bedroom Project

When we bought this house, I knew that it would a long time and a lot of work to get it to where I wanted it: a Mid-Century Modern Oasis. So far, we've removed all the carpeting and replaced it with wood floors, painted over all the paneling (which I hate... that fake wood pattern paneling... yuck), re-did the kitchen, and, finally, the bedroom. We still have projects to complete: I want to re-do the bathroom and laundry room, and eventually make an entertaining room with room for my band to practice, a pool table, and a TV viewing area... but all that's in the future.

My latest house project was a complete sprucing-up of the bedroom. It was functional (could use a bigger closet, but that's what every girl says), but UGLY. Like I said, the wall finishes were fake wood paneling, and it desperately needed another window. After my Tommy Lee installed a new window, I gutted everything out of the space and started in to bring the room to what I saw in my head. Here's a "before" video:


I had several designs, but, in the end, I decided I just wanted something clean, bright, and undeniably mid-century atomic. So I bought a gallon of Behr paint in Pearl White semi-gloss and a quart of Glidden semi-gloss in a shade called Island Shores:


After moving everything out, I started with the closet. Before shot:
And After I painted the closet area:
And then one wall... Before:
Here's my Ugly Paneling Seam Painting Technique:


And After:
And then the opposing wall, the feature wall, and the doors. The final look? MCM HEAVEN! Behold:



Here's some still shots of the room:






The final piece of my makeover was the antique brass desk that I inherited from my Grandma. She bought it intending to refinish it, but never got around to it before she passed. My Tommy Lee sanded and repainted the desk and its bench, and then we re-upholstered the seat. After hanging a mirror on the wall, I painted the frame, hung some globe lights around it, and, voila! Makeup table!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment