Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Colorpop Velvet Gloss Lipstick Review

I am a bit of a penny-pincher when it comes to just about everything; when it comes to beauty products, large sums of money are reserved for pretty dresses and eyelashes and eye wrinkle cream and not much else. When it comes to makeup, I tend to just stick to whatever I can get from drug stores on sale or whatever. I'm not too picky: Covergirl for foundation and powders, e.l.f. for most everything else. I did splurge recently and bought a really nice set of makeup brushes. Made my life so much easier.

So, I recently heard about Colorpop lipsticks and someone I know said that they were amazing, so I bought a set of six Velvet Gloss colors from Amazon to try out.

My first impression: the colors I would be getting weren't really represented well in the photos on the web site; the colors I got were pretty much nothing I would ever use. The nude looked promising, but it is too pale for my skin; I look like an alien. The only color that I ended up being even a little bit interested was the red. So I tried the red, and it is a little more orange than I would like, but it did go on pretty well, for all that it is applied with a lip gloss wand.

This stuff dries really, really fast. Like, the first coat was totally dry before I was even finished applying it. I expected that, and I also expected that it was going to be tough to get off, based on the Amazon reviews, so I expected that it would last all day without reapplying.

Not only did it not last all day, my lips felt super dry, and, within an hour, it was flaking off. Two hours in, and my lips looked pretty awful. Ultimately, I wasn't very happy with it, and I have already gone back to my Jordana lipsticks, which, properly applied, do last all day without flaking. To apply my lipsticks, I cover my lips with a light coating of foundation, pat it dry, dust with powder, and then just apply like you would any lipstick. Then, I blot, reapply, blot, reapply, sometimes layering different shades to get different effects. A couple times through, and the color is set and doesn't smudge or transfer or smear or anything. Not bad for $1 per tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment