Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Mid-Century Kitchen with Molly Starlite - Episode 6: How to Make Dress Straps the EASY Way!

Dress straps before final sewing.
Top strap is the underside; bottom
strap is the top side.
If you remember my how-to sew a swing dress post from last summer, you'll remember that I struggled to make straps that looked neat and finished and weren't interminably frustrating to make. After much trial and error, I finally found this method that doesn't involve sewing and turning fabric, isn't frustrating at all, and takes only minutes to make each strap.

That's right: using nothing more than a hot iron, an old bath towel, and a can of spray starch, you can turn a 4-inch wide by 18-inch long piece of cotton into a sturdy strap for dresses and tops in just a few minutes. The only sewing involved is a simple seam down the edge to secure it, but these things come out looking neat and clean and professional in literally just minutes.

Watch me make one here (my 5-year old was taping this, just to explain the videography on this one):

Like what you see here? Want to help me make more awesome stuff? Support me on Patreon.com and get instant rewards! You could get a custom song, free copies of my books, free jewelry, a say in my projects, and so much more! Thank you for your patronage!
Save

No comments:

Post a Comment